Strong, powerful and incredibly vulnerable to conflict with people, loss of habitat and prey. Help us to protect the magnificent king of the big cats.
The threats to lions
- A reduction in the number of their natural prey due to land being cleared for agriculture
- Conflict with people
- Loss and damage of habitat due to the overgrazing of domestic livestock
How you’re helping lions
- Promoting sustainable use of natural resources in the region
- Working with the local communities to monitor lion movements and reduce human/lion conflict
- Monitoring lions in the northern Maasai Mara
- Your support will also help fund our other essential work around the world
How your adoption can help lions
- In the Mara we are working with local communities to help them use their natural resources more sustainably – including the vital freshwater resource of the Mara River.
More about lions
- Scientific name
- Panthera leo
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Savanna and grassland mainly, but also forest and bushland.
- Wild population
- Extinction risk