Lovely as a tree
- To think about and appreciate the environment
- To think about the relationship between humans and the natural world
- Resource sheet: Lovely as a tree
- Drawing materials
- Ddigital cameras (optional)
Read the extracts of the poems by Joyce Kilmer and Ogden Nash.
Explain that ‘billboard’ is the American name for the large advertising structures that are found by the side of busy roads.
- What do you think Joyce Kilmer thinks about trees?
- Is Ogden Nash being rude about Joyce Kilmer’s poem or does his poem have a message?
- When do you think people first started to concern themselves about conservation?
Explain that they will be using their sketches to decorate a poem about trees. Briefly look at some of the other poetry extracts from the Resource sheet before setting out.
Display the pupils’ work and invite them to suggest what images they might use with particular poems.
- What’s the mood/message in this poem?
- What sort of images might go with that?
Complete the presentations of the poems.
Display the decorated poems, play the recording of the dawn chorus and invite pupils to write some thoughts or poems about the loveliness of trees and/or the natural world: