Carrot & Chickpea Burgers
What kid doesn’t love burgers? These carrot & chickpea burgers have a sweet and yummy twist - they are veg-filled and really delicious. The real joy of this recipe comes from the kids getting their hands dirty and shaping the patties.
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 medium egg
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 100g breadcrumbs or porridge oats
- Your choice of extras to serve: burger buns, sliced tomatoes, sliced avocados, lettuce, mayonnaise or hummus or pesto, pickles, sliced cheese, or your own favourites
- Mix carrots, chickpeas, egg, salt & pepper, dried mixed herbs and breadcrumbs or oats in a food processor to form a smooth, thick paste.
- Form into 8 patties and fry in a drizzle of olive oil in a pan set over medium heat until cooked through and golden (about 3-4 mins on each side).
- Serve with your choice of bun, fillings and extras.
To make it extra fun for the kids, choose a selection of favourite burger fillings you are happy for them to eat and lay them out in bowls and plates on the table to make it a “build-your-own” burger dinner. They are more likely to eat the veg they choose to put in it themselves!